Do you know Content Marketing?
“Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.” – Google’s quote.
The term “content marketing” means different ideas to many people. Some people get the general idea, but they’re missing some pieces on how it works, and so they don’t use it as effectively as they could…
When I started out in marketing many years ago, I had no idea what content marketing was. I had a lot of confusion about what it could do, and how it fit into marketing as my background was in sales.
Definition– “a type of marketing that involves the creation and sharing of online material (such as videos, blogs, and social media posts) that does not explicitly promote a brand but is intended to stimulate interest in its products or services. Social media is an integral part of content marketing” ~Dictionary.com
What is the goal behind writing content?
To flood your website with search traffic and drive customers to you website right?
Easier said than done. Gaining long-term success in content marketing only happens with a good marketing strategy and lots of constant work.
So what are those content marketing tactics that you can take to add to your overall campaign strategy?
Here are 5 content marketing strategies to help you succeed.
5 Steps of Content Marketing:
1. I know now that content marketing is building a community, being yourself and generously giving by teaching others what you have learned. Today’s marketing has changed with the times. It’s attraction marketing now rather than sell sell sell!
More on Attraction Marketing in another article. Marketing Techniques to Attract Customers
2. Another part of content marketing is re-purposing your content into various forms, adapting it for various uses. It’s the practice of creating, publishing, and sharing content with the goal of building both your reputation and your business visibility. Focusing on your visibility first, you build your community with that old K.LT. – know, like, and trust. And when your audience trusts you, they will purchase your services and products. You are teaching what you know to help them with their problems.
3.Today people don’t want to be advertised to when making a purchase. Do you? I know I don’t. That is the old style of marketing. Think pushy car salesman.What people do want today is valuable information. Content that is often spread via social networks. These generate “word-of-mouth” types of exposure from content marketers that are a trusted source of information. Social Media generates the roads for sharing information. A movement of followers from social platforms via nurture-type, relationships with your email list. They become loyal prospects and buyers for your business.
4. Content managers give away a lot of information, be it seasonal or just informational in nature. It can take the form of writing a white paper or some helpful blog posts, online videos, or info-graphics. Anything that tells a story, even live events. A digital account that resonates with a potential customer. It builds trust and what you teach can be worth a lot of money to you. Be it digital products that resonate with your target audience, an online course, a paid membership site or a paid for product, such as an online service.
5. Content marketing needs to provide a uniquely positive user experience. Content needs to be presented in a new way with a very unique approach (be the best you can possibly be). Your content needs to induce a emotional triggers in it’s users. It needs to be extremely easy to share and draw attention from its many distribution channels. Above all content marketing needs to solve a valuable problem for the user.
Ways in which to share the user experience (additions to a blog post or website)
- transcripts of a video
- resource lists
- lead magnet
- cheat sheets
- series of articles via email
- into a webinar
- PDF of a blog post
Some Content Marketing Businesses
You may be familiar with HubSpot a CRM that has free to paid content. A premium product that is organized and structured. “HubSpot is a developer and marketer of software products for inbound marketing and sales.” ~ Wikipedia
They use content marketing many ways which greatly helps their increased traffic flow:
. linking content to various social media
. highlighting issues about which people care about in-depth articles
. upgrades such as e-books to blogs
. creating shareable informative articles
Social Media Examiner helps millions of businesses discover how to best use social media marketing to connect with customers, drive traffic, and increase sales. Social Media Examiner has a stream of valuable posts, a veritable factory of blog posts on daily basis.In 2006, Michael Stelzner published his first book, Writing White Papers: How to Capture Readers and Keep them Engaged. He founded Social Media Examiner with the stated goal of providing free how-to information about social media.
The world’s largest social media marketing resource, Social Media Examiner® helps millions of businesses discover how to best use social media to connect with customers, drive traffic, generate awareness, and increase sales.
Their mission is to help you navigate the constantly changing social media jungle.
They have original and comprehensive articles, expert interviews, original research, and the news you need to improve your social media marketing.
Build Your Business
How you build your own audience with your products and services is what builds your business. Content marketing is the creation and sharing of online material to reach and teach your community about your business. Content marketing is the new way of doing business online. So unlike the old marketing ploy of sell, sell, sell.
As a small business owner you wear many hats. One day you devote to being the accountant and the next as the operations manager or marketing blogger. With limited budget and manpower, time can be a real problem. But with the right tools you can maximize your marketing efforts and get on track.
- I consult with small businesses and come up with a list of helpful top small business marketing tools for entrepreneurs and business owners. If you would like to contact me for a free 20 min chat to see if we might be a good fit for your business, see my contact page to book a call. If I can’t help you as a content marketer I may know someone who can. K. L. T.