Harmful Stress In Your Life Now And What To Do About It

Stress at work

Have you ever felt so much stress at work that you just wanted to scream?

Occupational stress is stress related to one’s job. Occupational stress often stems from unexpected responsibilities and pressures that do not align with a person’s knowledge, skills, or expectations, inhibiting one’s ability to cope. Occupational stress can increase when workers do not feel supported by supervisors or colleagues, or feel as if they have little control over work processes.  -From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many people experience different types of stress at work, at home, with certain situations.  Like when you are driving and someone cuts you off, dangerously close. Your hands sweat, your heart suddenly pumps , you feel the  adrenaline. You know that feeling,  probably very well.

I experienced stress in the workplace.

An example would be having to deal with a crowd of people at my desk all talking at once, wanting my attention. I was doing flight scheduling for a government office of military officers. I yelled at them  and told them  -one at a time!  I drew numbers on some post-its and had them come to me one  at a time to book their flight plans.  I was working as a temp for an agency and had come into the department as a replacement clerk during a strike.  So things were rather up side down, and they needed someone to book back logged flights asap.

I experienced quite a lot of stress being an agency temp.

Every office I stepped into, I had to quickly learn my way around.  I do recall one of my very first jobs,  I was not too familiar with computers.  I remember going home and being scared to go back, because I was not sure if I turned off the computer correctly, and may have lost all the days work? Another time I was working in the evening and the owner of the business had to come in because I wasn’t sure if I had set the alarm properly. It went off of course.

In another job I had back then was I worked as a baker.

I had to go in to work at 4:30 am to get started making the bread and opening up the store.  The restaurant has an alarm system that you had to put a code in. If I didn’t remember the code exactly, the alarm system when off and it was LOUD!!!  I had to try and talk to the alarm company as the sirens went off. It would shake me up for the rest of the morning.

All the different types of jobs I have had have been stressful. Having to get up every morning and pick out what to wear for the job,  pack a lunch,   commute on a bus usually, or some times drive and find parking down town. Not to mention dealing with office politics. I finally said enough.

Does the  idea of skipping the morning commute, sitting at your laptop and having tea breaks  when ever you please appeal to you? Those are  some of the obvious perks when working at home. But according to a  new study,  remote working can be good for your health and productivity as well.

I found  in some separate research that those who work from home do say that they get better work satisfaction and that they suffer less from “work exhaustion”. They enjoyed better sleep too. When it comes to gender, studies have found that  women were the workers who were likely to perform better in a  work at home environment, but it depends also on the person’s personality as well. Working from home can be a lonely existence.

To find out more about what you can do about stress in your life.

Now I work from home and my life has changed.

I am a blogger and a small business owner.  I am also connected to a blogging community, which is a great way to not be a lonely working at home. If I wish to not work for a day, I can take the time off. I don’t have to ask anyone for permission. My change of  lifestyle works for me.  I can’t say that I experience  the  stress that I was used to working outside the home,  working at home definitely has reduced my stress.

About Kathryn R. Maclean http://www.facebook.com/marketingofflineonline
A long time blogger with WordPress /domains & hosting. A certified Social Media Campaign specialist using Facebook, Twitter Pinterest and Google + & Instagram. Affiliate & Network Marketer using resources as: Expert Author & Coordinator for the Power Affiliate Club. Also the welcome coordinator for PAC.

Comments

1. Inspiring article and I could relate on so many levels! For most of my career I worked in jobs where I was on-call 24/7, had to do a lot of public speaking and practically lived in plains, trains, and automobiles, but I loved it so it didn’t feel stressful no matter how many hours I worked. Still, you can only live that way for so long and over the course of about 5 years I slowly transitioned myself out of that career and – like you – I now work at home and I am once again in love with my work. Makes a huge difference, doesn’t it?

• kathrynruth says:

Hi Marquita,
      It does indeed make a huge difference working from home.
      While you say you loved your job with lots of travel and public speaking
      I wouldn’t think you could do that for an extended amount of time, I suppose
      lots of people do just that but again working from home is such a great way
      to work and a great way to love what you do.
      Thanks for your comments.

2. This is a great post! Stress is something which everyone goes through…

The thing is U stress is good for everyone, that stress helps us cope with the tough times. It is all about having a good mindset under stress and pressure to be optimistic and look for the good in the future.

This post is great in realizing that and handling situations!

Thanks for the value 🙂

• kathrynruth says:

Hi Matthew,
      Yes, stress is universal, everyone goes through it.
      Your mindset under stress helps tremendously. An optimistic mindset
      sets you up for a good outcome in your future.
      Thanks for your comments.

3. I well remember the stressful commutes I had when I worked in London for 5 years. Catching a stand only bus (all seats already taken) to get to the tube station, then a stand only tube ride, a change of lines, then a sardine ride on the next tube. Then doing it all again on the way home. I feel for those who do this all their working lives. I solved the problem by commuting by ferry instead but that involved a move round the world to Australia. That didn’t deal with other work related stresses, of course, so working from home is the only way for me. I now live in a house with a wonderful sea view but only because I could move out of the city to a town with cheaper housing.

• kathrynruth says:

Hi Sue,
      How many people do the very same as you did, standing room only commuting to and from a job.
      One job I had took me 2 2/2 hours by bus and train to get to work and again on the way home.
      How lucky you are to have a house with a sea view out of the city.
      Working from home is the only way for me as well.
      Thanks for your comments.

4. Hi Kathryn,
    Stress is a sneaky thing because many times we don’t realize how stressed we are! That’s why it’s good to balance it with some form of relation skill to balance the body physically . Nice post 🙂

• kathrynruth says:

Hi Lesly,
      You are right, all of a sudden you fly off the handle from stress you weren’t
      really aware of. Meditation and Yoga are very popular. Massage is very helpful too.
      Thanks for your comments

5. Hey Kathryn, When I worked in the methadone clinics stress was my middle name. Particularly on Mondays, half the clients would come to work in a crisis. Let’s not forget the counselors who came to work with his/her own crisis. The day would be moving fast from 5:30am until 3pm. I recall leaving work with my shoulder muscles hard and feeling like they were in my neck. So it became important for me to find ways to unwind not just by going home and being a couch potato. Massages after work helped a lot. Thanks for this article and sharing your experiences.

• kathrynruth says:

Hi Lydia,
      My my that would indeed be stressful. Clients and counselors alike.
      I can not imagine how you coped. I would think massages and spa type soaking
      would help alot. There are a lot of jobs that are so stressful, think of Firemen
      and Doctors and Policemen. Hope the article I linked to helps alot

6. Hello Kathryn! Great post my friend! Stress is a killer HUH? that is why it is so important to know how to channel this energy somewhere else.

Thanks for sharing

Chery :))

• kathrynruth says:

Hi Chery,
      Yes indeed it can be a killer. More heart attacks occur early Monday mornings
      because of stress.
      Thanks for your comments.

7. Hello there Kathryn,

Dealing with stress is not easy, but if you can get away from what is causing you to feel stressed out in the first place, what a difference it would make in your own space, whether it be work or home 🙂 Sometimes it is just best to step away from the cause and to go where you feel more productive 🙂

Great share and post!

• kathrynruth says:

Hi Joan,
      Yes getting away can help when your feeling stressed out.
      Taking a break and getting rest and relaxation help a great deal.
      When you get lots of sleep and are taking care of your health by eating
      right, exercising etc Then you are better able to go back to what was
      causing the stress.
      Thanks for your comments!

8. Hi Kathryn,
    Glad to be here again. Stress related to work is really an irritating thing that can happen to anyone. When you are working for a boss, it is a must that you have to work according to their schedule and preferences which may lead anyone to have unnecessary stress.
    I am still working and doing blogging part-time so I can imagine how life will be if we are a freelancer doing business as our own boss.
    Looking forward to see more posts from you soon.

Best regards

Reji Stephenson

• kathrynruth says:

Hi Reji,
      Stress from work or stress from a life situation, no matter the cause, we all feel it.
      It’s all in HOW you handle stress that is the answer. Be optimistic and take time to relax.
      This helps so much.
      Thanks for your comments.

9. Hi Kathryn,

Good to be here again.
    Work Stress is very innoying indeed and can happen to anyone…infact or should I say happens to all?… When you work for your boss, well you technically their I am gonna use the b word here.

All those stupid deadline and all and at the end of the day, your boss is still like -_- and I am like seriously dude!

I am myself tierd of this sh*t and wanna simply quit my job and start doing full time blogging.

Bill gates once said….be your own boss as soon as possible… My blog lifefalcon is only 5 months old…but I will make it into something one day! All I need is all you peoples’ little help LOL But I guess PAC is already on it =)